Tiffen 52mm 6 Point Star Filter
Product information 52mm
|Product Dimensions||4.2 x 3.5 x 0.9 inches|
|Item Weight||2.4 ounces|
|Shipping Weight||2.4 ounces|
|Customer Reviews||4.1 out of 5 stars 23Reviews|
|Date first listed on Amazon||September 29, 2000|
Tiffen 52mm 6 Point Star Filter
Lighting can be enhanced in ways that go beyond what exists in nature. Star filters create points of light, like stars, streaking outward from a central light source. This can make lighting within the scene take on a more glittering, glamorous appearance. This effect is produced by a series of thin lines etched into the flat optical surface of a clear filter. These lines act as cylindrical lenses, diffracting light points into long thin lines of light running perpendicular to the etched lines. Lines on the filter positioned horizontally produce vertically oriented star lines. The size and brightness of the star lines produced are first a function of the size, shape, and brightness of the light source. You have additional control through the choice of a particular spacing between the lines on the filter. Generally these spacings are measured in millimeters. A 1mm spacing has twice as many lines per unit area as a 2mm spacing. It will produce a brighter star for any given source. Spacings offered generally range from 1mm to 4mm, as well as both narrower and wider for specialty effects. The number of directions that lines run in determines the number of points produced. Lines in one direction produce a two-pointed star, just a streak through the center of the light. There are 4, 6, 8, 12 and more points available. With an 8 or 12 point filter, the many star lines will tend to overpower the rest of the image, so use them carefully. Although the more common types have a symmetrical arrangement of points, they can also be obtained with asymmetric patterns, which tend to appear more natural, less synthetic.
Top Tiffen 52mm 6 Point Star Filter Comparison Chart
|This item Tiffen 52mm 6 Point Star Filte...||Tiffen 52NSTR 52mm North Star...||Neewer 58mm Rotated Star Filte...||Tiffen 52mm 4 Point Star Filte...|
|Item Dimensions||4.2 x 3.5 x 0.9 in||4 x 4 x 1 in||6.9 x 3.4 x 1 in||4.2 x 3.5 x 1.2 in|
Tiffen 52mm 6 Point Star Filter Reviews
- David EckardVerified PurchaseSize: 58mmAn ok filter, but I find that the lines in the glass that create the star affect are very fine and the created affect is very fine as well. I also found that a tripod is...
- Samantha AdamsVerified PurchaseSize: 62mmI am rebuilding my photographic equipment inventory after a long time absence from photography. Although a bit pricey, Tiffen filters are my first choice. This one is...
- Martha MakiVerified PurchaseSize: 77mmThis is great for getting that star effect but I would not recommend this for pictures with people in it. The quality of the image is little more blurred due the filter from...
- Shane OrtizVerified PurchaseSize: 55mmThis is a fun effect filter. Quality is above average. I'm going to enjoy finding ways to use this in evening to highlight light sources.
- Kyle JamesVerified PurchaseSize: 52mmThe filter is made very well. I like that it is made in two pieces so that the star pattern creating grid can be rotated while the base ring stays firmly threaded into the...
- Rose CauseyVerified PurchaseSize: 67mmYou get what you pay for, and this is probably no exception. Knowing that I would just be using this filter on a handful of shots during a recent vacation I refused to pay a...
- David OlewineVerified PurchaseSize: 77mmKnew what it was, had one before...no issues. Not the most expensive ones but does the trick. Proper settings and subject
no need to edit in a multitude of stars.
- Clara DaoVerified PurchaseSize: 67mmTiffany always produces excellent filters. Great service from Seller.